Skip to main content

Leavers for next season

So the list of leavers came out this week and as expected with relegation it's quite a lengthy list:

Josh Basham, Arno Botha, Joe Cokanasiga, Darren Dawidiuk, Ben Franks, Todd Gleave, Alex Lewington, Will Lloyd, Lasha Lomidze, James Marshall, Senitiki Nayalo, David Paice (retired), Richard Palframan, Tom Smallbone, Aseli Tikoirotuma, Johnny Williams, Tom Woolstencroft, Piet van Zyl

Some of them will be of no surprise for example the two mid season joiners who were only ever on short term contracts. By all means it would have been great to keep them due to the positive impact but it just isn't too be. That said however I will discuss a few...

Big Joe personally I think is a big loss for the future however if any of you have read his social media posts it was obviously a hard decision to make and I think for him it was done for the right reasons and with a heavy heart. I hope to see him wearing the England Rose soon as he certainly deserves it and maybe we will see him in Green again in the future. My partner certainly will miss Big Joe (and Alex Lewington) which will make it much harder for me to convince her to join me at the Mad Stad.

Johnny Williams again whilst being another loss for the future I can understand why he had made the decision, I wish the club had managed to agree loan deals for some of these players. This would have benefited the club long term whilst still investing in long term player development. I'm sure this was explored but for whatever reasons just didn't come about.

Darren Dawidiuk I was surprised is leaving  having only signed for this season, he is off to Coventry the other new faces to the Championship, whilst I wish him luck and I'm so glad he has managed to bounce back from the difficulties he has had this year, I feel there is more to this move that what meets the eye.

My last player to mention has to be David Paice and all I can say is thank you. He was a true club servant through thick and thin and he certainly stood up for his team (even if it did involve him spending time in the bin). Enjoy your retirement.

Despite the list of leavers, Irish still have plenty of young blood, Ben Loader is an obvious example and a reason why the academy is a worthwhile investment from the club despite sometimes feeling like it builds other teams more, I feel that's just the nature of producing young talent. Irish do gain from the academy and hopefully we can use this season to develop those players and I hope we continue to invest. Irish additionally have made some good signings to hopefully plug some of the gaps and build a more rounded squad next season.

Most importantly I wish all the leavers the best of luck in their future, I hope we seem them play somewhere along our journeys in the future and they'll always be part of London Irish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixture List

So the fixture list god's have acted and we finally have next season's dates to sort out our away trips...well kind of. I can imagine that like most others I was somewhat surprised that the Jersey fixture has not been confirmed due to circumstances out of the club's control. I hear this is because of a number of events going on in Jersey causing hotel and plane issues. Whilst I know I'm not the only one disappointed I must say that last season I couldn't afford to go to Jersey due to cost so I would rather it be at a time when there's less demand and costs would be much better so I have a chance! Also the Ealing fixtures are timed almost perfectly, initially I was not keen on the away trip being the first game of the season but if we can get out of the blocks quickly it might send an early statement of intent and possibly calm the thoughts of Ealing causing us allot of trouble (although I'm sure they will). If the season does go Ealing's way then we

New Season, New Start

With a new season the slate is wiped clean and this season Irish have another attempt at Premiership survival, now we are a few games into the season proper I thought now was a good time to review on progress made so far. Irish have been in this position a couple of times now and personally I would argue the relegation to the Championship is not the end of the world albeit not ideal and causes a mass of players to leave. However on this attempt there was certainly a new air of optimism about the club pre-season I would imagine mostly due to the number of signings, the coaching set up but also the prospect of the Rugby World Cup and the ability to capitalise on those who may have lost significant chunks of their squad to the various teams in Japan. The hope I would suggest was somewhat short lived following the only real pre-season friendly (would still like some more at Hazelwood) against Munster who brought Irish down to reality, a good solid first half performance was overshadowe

Is relegation the end of the world?

Before I start, I do not want Irish to be relegated but I accept that given our current position any other outcome is becoming extremely unlikely. Additionally I think that promotion and relegation are a good thing for competition but given today's headlines that's probably a totally different blog! Irish have been relegated once before, last season and it given the team a chance to renew, some players left, a new coaching set up was brought in and things were looking positive. This season however for whatever reason that was not to be, so what's the issue with relegation again?! In the interests of balance on the down side staff are likely to lose their job, this hurts me and it will be sad to see them go as I'm far concerned they are every bit of the club as any one else and they are being punished for essentially something they have no control over. Alongside that Irish will lose even more money, the Championship is ridiculously under funded and I think we set